Posted on 13 February 2014
Head/Director of UX & Design at Bright NorthBright North set-up just a year ago as a new type of agency. Unlike conventional digital or design and build agencies our work spans the crossover between experience design, data science and web & mobile development. The digital products we build represent a new world of product development; lean, relevant, game changing experiences... driven by data. We work with a whole host of different clients – from biggies like Sky, Samsung and WorldPay through to some incredibly exciting VC-backed start-ups. We’re now nearly thirty people and are looking for a Director of UX & Design to lead, build and develop our UX and Design team.
This is a highly strategic senior management position that offers the chance to shape the future of our UX & Design function, whilst also playing a leading role in key client projects. Finding a figure head for the UX & Design is now one of our key priorities - someone who understands the dynamics of working in a small but fast-growing agency, is a brilliant and inspirational practitioner and also highly commercial.
There is a lot of ground to break and huge amounts of work to do to establish the agency as a leader in this emerging market of data-driven UX. Aside from being hugely experienced, those applying for this position should be vocal in the UX community, and have a sufficiently wide network to support ongoing UX & Design recruitment.
To lead, manage and build the UX and Design team – this includes a variety of strategic and management activities:
- Development of our data-led UX & Design approach,
- Leadership, management and coaching of existing team members,
- Recruitment of new team members,
- Definition and refinement of the team’s operating model,
- Overall responsibility – reporting to the Board – for all project, methodological, people and commercial aspects of the team.
- To take the lead on key accounts – from supporting the sales process, through to leading on all relevant technical aspects of the project’s delivery.
- To represent Bright North externally - speaking at events and tweeting/blogging about the agency's work, to attract and retain both clients and talent.
- We’ll need you to demonstrate the following:
- Passion for your discipline and excellence as a practitioner.
- A clear understanding of how UX and creative visual design work best together and experience in leading, managing and coaching different disciplines.
- Strong commercial awareness, with a clear understanding of the commercial realities of running an agency, as well as business, product and marketing metrics.
- Experience in a project-based environment as a manager setting and monitoring project budgets, as well as a team member.
- Strong client and account management skills, including significant experience pitching and winning work.
- A strong drive and ambition to learn new skills, challenge the status quo and grab opportunities with both hands.
We can offer a number of opportunities to progress and grow:
- Professional development: We believe there’s a huge opportunity to break new ground and create new user centred design methodologies – to go beyond simple web analytics analysis – by incorporating multiple data sets and incorporating advanced statistics and predictive modelling.
- Product development: We have a clear ambition to develop our own products. We need strategic input to developing our own product strategy, evaluating ideas, and ultimately to designing, building and going to market with our own products.
- Commercial development: Initially our expectation is that you would join at Director level on the Operational Management Team, reporting directly to the Board. Mid- long term we would like to move to having UX & Design representation on the Board. Progression to the Board will depend on your ability to establish, lead and build the team, articulate our data-driven UX methodologies and contribute at a strategic level.